Sarahracha rhymes with "Frère Jacques"

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Downy woodpecker




I found a woodpecker in the garden today. Poor thing was acting all weird, hanging sideways on the plum tree and later he was under the bench pecking away on the leg, I walked towards him and he took off hopping along the ground and Jack tried to grab him, and the bird ran through the lettuce patch. I put jack in the house and went looking for the baby woodpecker but it disappeared. I watered the garden, painted my cement leaves and then I heard it pecking on the table again, poor thing was not going to get any food pecking at the table leg so I grabbed it, put it in my cat carrier, called wild care and Yoshi and I took him down. they said he was a juvenile, and something was wrong with his wing. They also asked if I would want to release him and seeing as my garden is a natural habitat I said yes! I didnt see or hear any of the parents although I did just hear one so I am not sure the nest is in my garden.

No comments: